Type your MOC/MOS or military title in the field below to search for jobs using our Military-to Civilian-Occupation Translator.
Ross Stores, Inc. Coordinator, HR (Background) in Dublin, California
The Background Screening Specialist supports Ross Stores Inc.’s background check screening process and is responsible for researching and executing quality evaluation and resolution of “needs review” background checks in compliance with applicable laws and company procedures. The specialist will be the main contact to evaluate criminal convictions in the background check process and provide hiring recommendations to appropriate HR representatives.
- Responsible for all aspects of assigned background screening adjudications for all business units
Evaluates applicant background checks designated as “Further Review.” This includes but is not limited to:
Validating applicant and associate credentials
- Performing an individualized assessment in compliance with legal guidance to evaluate the candidate’s suitability for hire or promotion
- Conducting research into candidate qualifications/eligibility by contacting applicant and outside entities such as educational institutions, courts, and other third parties for information
- Determining whether the background check should be passed or failed
- Partnering and advising clients of outcomes based on results of background screening
- Works directly with vendor and vendor system to accurately track status of background check adjudication, log final resolutions, and ensure service level agreements/vendor performance metrics are being met
Acts as a liaison between the legal department, HR, and the background check vendor to resolved issues and refine processes
Responsible for accurate data entry of all background checks in HR Case Management System and accurate reporting of results
- Partners with Supervisor, and others to make recommendations and seek guidance to ensure compliance with background screening procedures
- Interfaces with managers, supervisors, and recruiters to interpret and report background check results
- In partnership with Supervisor, gathers feedback from HR partners regarding the background check process and provides this to the legal team and to the background check vendor
- In partnership with Supervisor, recommends operating policy and procedural improvements in relation to background checks to Corp HR counterparts
- Communicates changes to the background check laws from the legal department to human resources
- Develops solid knowledge of current background check laws; drafts customized letters and follows process flows as required
- Represents Company in legal proceedings, if needed
- Coordinates and provides ongoing legal training for turnover in HR positions
- Maps, monitors and continually enhances the program
- Implementing legal compliance measures
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Customer Service
- Technical Competence
- Analysis & Judgement
QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources or related field required; High School degree or equivalent required
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite (Word, Outlook, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Prior experience in business operations preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including ability to effectively elicit information from, and provide information to others
- Strong analytical ability to evaluate complex information and articulate recommendations
- Must perform efficiently in a high-volume environment, both independently and as part of a team, while maintaining organization and attention to detail, with ability to multi-task and meet competing priorities
Job requires ability to work in an office environment, primarily on a computer.
Requires sitting, standing, walking, hearing, talking on the telephone, attending in-person meetings, typing, and working with paper/files, etc.
Consistent timeliness and regular attendance.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
This job description is a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities of the job and position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive or all-inclusive listing of duties and responsibilities. Contents are subject to change at management’s discretion.
Ross is an equal employment opportunity employer. We consider individuals for employment or promotion according to their skills, abilities and experience. We believe that it is an essential part of the Company’s overall commitment to attract, hire and develop a strong, talented and diverse workforce. Ross is committed to complying with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination based on race, color, religious creed, age, national origin, ancestry, physical, mental or developmental disability, sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and medical conditions related to pregnancy, childbirth or breastfeeding), veteran status, military status, marital or registered domestic partnership status, medical condition (including cancer or genetic characteristics), genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, as well as any other category protected by federal, state or local laws.