Type your MOC/MOS or military title in the field below to search for jobs using our Military-to Civilian-Occupation Translator.
Ross Stores, Inc. Sr. Director, Strategy in Dublin, California
GENERAL PURPOSE :
The Strategy Senior Director will play a key role in addressing significant challenges in how we continue to support our bargain strategy. Ross has a clear set of strategic priorities – all aimed at presenting attractive bargains to the customer. Different parts of the company play a key role in executing our strategy, however most groups operate within a fairly narrow domain whether it’s merchandise planning, buying, logistics, etc. The role of the Strategy group is unique in that it spans the full breadth of the business. A key objective of this group is to ensure we are working toward the same strategy and to balance both near-term tactical needs with longer-term objectives. The Strategy Senior Director will report to the GVP of Strategy. The Strategy Senior Director should expect to interact frequently with senior executives, key merchants, operators, planners as well as other strategy team members in New York, NY and Dublin, CA.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS :
Work with key senior executives on setting overall strategic priorities for the Company and analyze business problems to develop insights into root causes and improvement opportunities .
•Lead key analysis to support development of strategic priorities for the Company (working in conjunction with GVP Strategy and Senior Executives)
•Understand the off-price business and diagnose key business problems. Create and execute plans to gather data and develop practical solutions through qualitative and quantitative analyses.
•Develop materials to communicate strategy internally and externally (e.g. Board meetings, Buyer meetings, strategic off-sites, etc.)
Support long-term merchandising/planning initiatives
•Support merchants by identifying and assessing major merchandise issues we are likely to face as we continue to grow (e.g. availability of close-outs, new business opportunities, productivity, inventory opportunities, strategic role of categories); determine how these are likely to affect our growth and profitability.
•Support planning initiatives / business questions that have the potential to improve business performance (e.g., regional alignment, new planning capabilities, “hind sighting” business performance/planning)
•Facilitate processes for the senior merchants to develop long term buying and other strategies to address these issues.
•Work with individual businesses to address specific growth or strategic issues (e.g. how do we increase penetration of this business).
•Identify other actions that need to be taken to enable the merchant group to more effectively pursue their long-term strategies (e.g. systems changes, etc.)
Support Corporate initiatives
•Partner with cross-functional groups (e.g., Stores, HR, Allocation, Supply Chain) to lead or support key strategic projects through project management, research, analysis, or other types of work
•Bring insights from merchandising/planning work where relevant to ensure our operational decisions are connected to the core merchandising strategies of the business.
Drive customer insights across formats
•Conduct and analyze consumer research to provide insight on strategy issues for the company and for individual businesses
Monitor ongoing and ad hoc internal and external events
•Provide ad hoc business and competitive intelligence and insights for key senior executives: e.g. new store performance, competitive information, external/economic impacts, mergers & acquisitions impacts
Build Strategy team capabilities
•Manage (directly) Managers and Analysts – providing developmental feedback, creating opportunities, and helping them progress within Strategy or in other roles in the Company
•Help Managers and Analysts prioritize work and balance capacity across multiple project
•Partner with the GVP to identify team capability and capacity needs – in the near- and longer-term
•Leading by Example
•Ensures Accountability & Execution
•Plans, Aligns & Prioritizes
•Building Effective Teams
QUALIFICATIONS AND SPECIAL SKILLS REQUIRED:
•College degree and MBA, preferably with 5-7 years post MBA experience in an analytical environment
• Strategic Thinking: Ability to think ahead, identify longer-term issues, and assess the relative importance of strategic issues to the company. Work experience in formulating both growth and operational initiatives. Successful candidates have demonstrated ability to simultaneously think strategically and act tactically.
• Outstanding problem-solving skills: Demonstrated experience in framing multi-faceted issues and developing hypotheses based on fact-based analysis. Successful candidates must have very strong quantitative skills and the experience to manage a complex analytical process. Attention to detail at each stage of the deliverable is critical.
• Project management: Must be able to manage projects independently from start to finish with limited involvement from GVP. Successful candidates will be comfortable working in ambiguous, rapidly changing environments and can manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Communication: Must possess excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills. Ability to communicate complex findings clearly and succinctly and lead presentations to senior-level executives. Experience drafting senior-level communication and presentations is highly desired. Ability to build effective working relationships within and outside the Strategy team.
• Teamwork: Must be able to listen, understand, and communicate with executives at all levels of the company. Show strong leadership skills and can effectively guide and motivate team members.
•Strong fundamental business skills – must be Excel and PowerPoint proficient.
•Advanced financial and statistical modeling skills and database analysis
Job requires ability to work in an office environment, primarily on a computer.
Requires sitting, standing, walking, hearing, talking on the telephone, attending in-person meetings, typing, and working with paper/files, etc.
Consistent timeliness and regular attendance.
Vision requirements: Ability to see information in print and/or electronically.
Responsible for managing Strategy Analyst on specific projects
This job description is a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities of the job and position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive or all-inclusive listing of duties and responsibilities. Contents are subject to change at management’s discretion. Ross Stores, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.